Wednesday 17 August 2011

Undergraduate Courses and Choices

I was accepted to the Animal Biology Bachelor of Honours Science at the University of Guelph, which is a four year degree that is pretty restricted as far as acceptable courses.

First Year
Fall Semester 1
PSYC*1200 Psycology - Dynamics of Behaviour
PHYS*1020 Introductory Physics
MATH*1080 Elements of Calculus I
CHEM*1040 General Chemistry I
BIOL*1030 Biology I

Winter Semester 2
STAT*2040 Statistics I (needed and used for vet school - Statistics)
PHYS*1070 Intro Physics for Life Sciences
CIS*1000 DE Intro to Computer Applications
CHEM*1050 General Chemistry II
BIOL*1040 Biology II

Pretty basic stuff... I had to do "baby" physics because I didn't take physics in high school. DE = Distance Education.

Second Year
Fall Semester 3
PHYS*1080 Physics for Life Sciences
PHIL*2030 Philosophy of Medicine
MBG*2000 Introductory Genetics
BIOC*2580 Introductory Biochemistry
AGR*2350 Animal Production Systems & Industry

Winter Semester 4
NUTR*3210 Fundamentals of Nutrition
MBG*2020 Introductory Molecular Biology
BIOL*2210 Introductory Cell Biology
ARTH*2280 Modern Architecture (used for vet school - Social Science)
ANSC*2340 Structure and Function of Farm Animals

This year was the toughest. These marks are so important... unfortunately I had a tough time keeping up and did pretty poorly so I had to start to look for equivalent courses for the prereqs.

Third Year
Fall Semester 5
POPM*3240 Epidemiology (restricted elective)
PATH*3610 DE Principles of Disease (restricted elective)
BIOM*3010 Comparative Mammalian Anatomy (restricted elective)
ANSC*3120 Animal Nutrition
ANSC*3080 Agricultural Animal Physiology

Winter Semester 6
PATH*3040 Principles of Parasitology (restricted elective)
MBG*3060 Quantitative Genetics (used for vet school - Genetics)
BIOC*3560 Structure & Function in Biochemistry (used for vet school - Biochemistry)
ANSC*3300 Animal Reproduction
ANSC*3210 Animal Care & Welfare (used for vet school - Humanities)

This was the fun year. We started getting into more detail and the labs were much more informative. The profs like these courses so end up being much more efficient educators. Even the projects are fun; so much application that you stop hating school and actually start to enjoy yourself. This year was much better as far as marks go and it gave me a chance to replace some of those crappy second year marks. I highly recommend Parasitiology and Anatomy, even though they were tough there were fantastic experience, especially to prep for vet school.

Fourth Year
Fall Semester 7
ZOO*2100 Developmental Biology (used for vet school - Cell Biology)
POPM*4230 Animal Health (restricted elective)
ANSC*4700 Research in Animal Biology I (used for vet school - Biology)
ANSC*4560 Pet Nutrition (used for vet school - Biology)
ANSC*4020 Genetics of Companion Animals

Winter Semester 8
BIOC*4580 Membrane Biochemistry (restricted elective)
ANSC*4710 Research in Animal Biology II (restricted elective)
ANSC*4490 Applied Endocrinology (restricted elective)
ANSC*4350 Experiments in Animal Biology (restricted elective)
ANSC*4100 Appl Env Physio/Animal Housing (restricted elective)

WS8 was tough because I was appling to the OVC and mentally I was done. I am very happy that I took the research course but the experiments class was silly to take at the same time. It should've been either or, not both at the same time.

Obviously I stayed in a more sciencey theme... there was alittle room to expand but I am so terrible at social sciences so I played to my strengths. MARKS ARE KEY!! Get good marks, don't mess around. That doesn't mean you can't have fun! Just makke smart decisions! :)

1 comment:

  1. I realize this is an older post, but could you elaborate why you wouldn't have take research and experiments in ABIO in the same semester? Were they redundant or too much in one semester?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete