Friday 5 August 2011

Animal and Non-Animal Experience

So the OVC requires both animal AND non-animal experience so that you can show off how well rounded you are.

I worked with horses from the time I started riding at the age of 8. Now I totally suggest even a couple weekends in a barn to learn how to handle and feel comfortable around a horse. They are a little unpredictable and require a certain kind of touch so getting some experience before rectal palpations on a pregnant mare will only do you some good. Riding is fantastic though; best sport in the world.

I did my 40 hours of community service for high school graduation with a small animal clinic, but when I was done, I just kept showing up and offering to come in as much as possible. One day they realized I was not going away so they offered me a job. :) Lucky but also not impossible to achieve. I showed passion and commitment and they didn't need to train me and I had already been working for free so it was a win-win situation. The small animal clinic (that I still work at today!!!) gave me experience of client relations and the life of a clinician. Working with animals and the clients that love them really is rewarding. But you also get to encounter some crazies and learn how to handle them without putting the animal at risk. I learn some handling skills, parasite and disease prevention, buisness skills, etc. It's FANTASTIC experience!!

I volunteered for a reptile zoo for a couple weeks learning TONS about them in both the wild and captivity. Reptiles are so cool and I now own 2 thanks to that! hahaha Having experience with exoics does give you an edge because it is hard to get and most people don't want to bother. They are amazing creatures and broadening your horizons will only benefit you.

In University, I started (and still do!) volunteering with a non-releasable Birds of Prey education team. We do educational shows all over Southern Ontario. Falconry is amazing and working closely with a one-winged Turkey Vulture is honestly a once in a lifetime opportunity. Wildlife volunteer work is relatively easy to find if you look for it! Maybe start with the local wildlife center or conservation area.

Now for my fourth year thesis project (GREAT IDEA!!! DO IT!!) I got a chance to work with chickens! This kind of experience let me explore the farm and the laboratory so I learned A LOT of stuff. Also that chickens are awesome!!!! This is a more academic experience but their was animal handling involved. Your faculty advisor is also another great reference!!!

Now for some non-animal~!!

I played house league and rep soccer for my city. And yes you can use sports as an extra-curricular on your background information form for your OVC application and even coaches as one of your references!!

I also coached "Timbits" soccer. These are for kids under 12 and it was so much fun! You don't need to even know how to play soccer, you just make them run around and cheer and kick a ball.

In high school they offered a leadership course were we ran school events and learned management skills. I continued my leadership roles by doing the grade nine orientation and then in university doing first year (freshman) orientation. It was awesome. I love helping nervous first years get used to the campus and classes and new social scene. It also looks SWEET on resumes!

So hopefully this gives you some ideas. I wish I had had more cow and pig and sheep exposure but I'll have to get that on the fly this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment