Wednesday 3 August 2011

High School

SO not sure about the rest of the world but Canadian high school is four years: grade 9, 10, 11, and 12. They offer most courses as either Workplace, College, or University. Here, College and University are very different. University is very academic, primarily degree programs of 3- 4 years. College is more practical but only offers diploma programs so they are generally shorter. So with a doctorate as my goal I knew that U was my only option. So I took U English, Calculus, Data Management, Chemistry, and Biology, with Communications Technology as my elective in Grade 11 and 12. It was a heavy load but very manageable. I made one mistake though... not taking Physics... Not the worst thing but it would have been easier to have had the time in high school to properly learn this stuff.

As far as extra curriculars, I was part of the concert band (Alto Saxaphone), stage crew (behind the curtains, sound, lights, etc.), played soccer and field hockey for the school and soccer for the city (rep), I was a volunteer for the grade 9 orientations and peer mentors, competitive horse back riding (Hunter) and volunteered for a small and wildlife vet clinic. I worked at McDonalds, a horse stable, and a small animal clinic. I was needless to say busy. But all that experience was VERY worth it.

So my advice to those of you high school, stay busy! It keeps you out of trouble and you get used to time management. Also, get to know your teachers; not in a brown nose way, but ask questions about material you do not understand, have them proof read your projects/papers, get involved in their clubs, talk to them about current stuff in the subject they teach. They are more willing to help out students that are obviously making an effort to learn.

ok any more questions can be commented or emailed!

No comments:

Post a Comment