Wednesday 5 October 2011

Viva Voce

Hello from life on the inside. Here we are 5 1/2 weeks into vet school. I have exciting news; I passed my first viva voce in Anatomy!!! Yay! I also survived my first online quiz about Swine Production, but that is less of a feat. A viva voce is a live, group oral exam with your dissection and the prof. At first this sonds awesome, "What?! Group?! That means someone else will be able to get all the answers!! w00t!! No studying!!" False. Black Bear. (Shout out to my fellow D. K. Shrute fans!) This is a terrifying test in which you all must study very hard for and still may not figure out the answers. Sorry, but that is what you have to look forward to... It is a very cool dynamic though; your group gets to discuss things and have a chance to change your answers. Also it is Pass, Fail, or Outstanding (1/3, 2/3, or 3/3, you get 0 for not showing up), So we passed. We stumbled on the alternative name for the Prescapular Lymph node (Superficial cervical lymph node) and some of the cervical muscles (How could I forget the Scalaneus!). We did however, rock the shit out of the heart. Papillary muscles, chordae tendinae, mitral valve, paraconal interventricular groove, etc. Also the branching of the left subclavian artery (Canada, Denmark, Venezuala, Spain International Airlines in ruminants and Vancouver, Calgary, Saskatchewan Intranational Airline for the small animals).

My notes from Anatomy for the branching of the Left Subclavian Artery.


More notes for the anatomy of the heart.
 In other news, the Social Committee has a lot of fun stuff in the works. We want to run a Dog Wash, Pet Pictures with Santa, and a Bachelor Auction to raise money for our classes graduation and fourth year play. Then we are organizing an OVC Trick or Eat team for charity. Finally or just social events will be a ski/snowboard trip to either Mount Tremblant or Blue Mountain, Stags take over the Palace (a night club in Guelph) with the mechanical banana, Friends and Family day at the OVC, and a Spring Fling. SO MUCH ORGANIZING!! I love it. I am the poster girl, so I get to design all of our posters. Let me show you some examples:

And on that I will have to leave you. It is late and I have my Live Animal Landmarks lab tomorrow at 8:30 am... I have been finding these early mornings tough so I should try to get some sleep... I wish I could have a caffeine IV drip.... that would be nice...

No comments:

Post a Comment