Friday 14 October 2011

And the fun continues....

Here we are the short week after Thanksgiving... and it feels like the longest week yet. Maybe the mash potatoe hangover but these days have been dragging on... and not in a fun way. Lectures 8:30 - 5:30 everyday.... 6 hours of neuro lecture in 48 hours... let's just say there has not been a sufficient amount of studying occuring.

Ok, so my tiredness may also be due to me shadowing this week. Every first year has to do a week of shadowing a fourth year student during their clinical rotation for both small animal and large animal in order to pass clinical medicine. Ok maybe not pass, but failure to complete these weeks equals failure of the class. So I am on large animal medicine... only one case in but still have to show up at 7 am and 7 pm to do treatments and physicals. Our horse is just allergies causing swollen conjunctivitis, but still gotta be there until it goes home. It is fun, don't get me wrong. I like the opportunity to be in the clinic, watching and practicing, but I wish there was more to do then just rectal temperatures and applying eye meds on one horse... Then it would feel like less of bother... also I hate 7am.

I have a couple fun words that I have learned that make me smile. It justifies why I love medicine so much!

BORBORGYMI - gurgling gastrointestinal sounds
PETECHIA - small blood spots on mucous membranes (pet-tiki-ah)
IDIOSYNCRATIC - sorry ma'am, after $2,000 of diagnostics, I have no effing idea wghat is wrong with your cat!
ILIOCOLIOCECAL JUNCTION - where the ilium, colon, and cecum join

More will come to me... I am tired.

My forst midterm is on Monday at 8:30 am in Clin Med. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment