Monday 30 January 2012

Keeping Busy

Busy busy busy...
Between studying, class, and general life maintenance (cleaning, laundry, dishes, cooking, showering, etc.) I still have my volunteering and social comittee stuff going on. It feels like a lot of time is spent just answering and sending emails to people I need to contact and planning meetings and such. Crazy times. We are preparing for our big Family and Friends Day where the phase ones invite guests to come and tour the campus and have mini lectures given by our profs. Then we have Spring Fling, another Bar Night, and a Dog Wash that we have to plan. I like doing the computery stuff and the poster design but I am so picky with it that I spend way to long fixing sizes and colours...

Also, at Wild Ontario we are getting a bunch of new volunteers. We need to start their training and training is always a pain in the butt. I also moved to a new bird. I am now with Indian Jones the Red Taled Hawk. We are flight training him right now so it is  a nice treat to be on a bird with a higher level of difficulty.


ALSO... very exciting news...
I DID MY FIRST RECTAL PALPATIONS LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!
This seriously is really great news! I was volunteering with the Ruminant Field Services here at the OVC and we got to go do some pregnancy checks on a milking herd. Palpation is a skill that needs to be developed and in school we don't learn it until phase two! It's great to get some extra practice and have some one on one instruction from a prof. We also got to collect urine from a few. This is also a skill worth practicing. Collecting bovine urine is NOTHING like chasing a dog with a laddle or doing cystocentisis on a cat. You have to rub the escutcheon (the skin just ventral of the vulva) without getting your toes stepped on while she postures.... and the little tiny collection cup means that you get your hand very dirty.... I love large animal medicine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment